Sunday, February 12, 2012

Duct Tape dress form

    While I was pleased with my first attempt at a "Duct Tape Dress Form" 2 years ago, I realized as time went on, it had some serious flaws.  I had over-stuffed it and had not checked the measurements for accuracy as I should have.  My helpers had not marked the required plumb lines on the form before cutting it off me.  And the worst part was the upper chest and neck.  I had used a wooden hanger  at the top of the inner support and that made the neck much larger than it should have been and distorted the shape of the upper chest.

    So my best friend offered to help me re-do it (a huge thank you to you, Barb).  And here she is - the form, not my friend.

    I cut the original form down the middle of the front and back and down each side and then removed most of the stuffing.  I then taped the new form over the old one at the hips and filled the emptiness with the stuffing.

     All the plumb lines are still plumb and the measurements of the form are (almost) identical to mine.

    Notice I splurged on the bright yellow tape for the final layer.  I wasn't sure how much that roll would cover, so that's why the bottom is still silver.  The base used to hold an outdoor patio umbrella - heavy and very stable.  My husband helped me stabilize it all with a closet rod in the base of the stand and screws through the cardboard core of the form into the wooden rod.

    The only downside I can see, is that she is too heavy for me to carry, although I can slide her across the carpet.  So dear hubby carried her upstairs and she is now wearing the sweater destined to become the bodice of my KatWise inspired sweater coat.  Stay tuned for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment